Waking up from a deep slumber...to learn to drive again!

Since my last entry in my digital journal, many things have happened.  Christmas in the Philippines happened.... Year end business concerns happened.... My birthday happened.... Pope Francis in Manila happened....

I was overwhelmed into silence.... My newly found voice rested anew, as these events washed over me in succession, cautioning me to say nothing if I had nothing new or better to add to the din.

Well it is three weeks into 2015, I am 56 now, still making a living, still raising a son with exceptional needs, still trying to find meaning in my life...and rediscover the voice I thought I once had, but lost....

Resolutions are nothing new to me, and broken resolutions even more familiar. But the message of Christmas rings true, the message of the Pope rings loud.... One must dream, one must hope, one must look heavenward for inspiration, for solution, even for absolution.

My first resolution, my first venture into an aging future, is to drive again.  The last time I drove was 2001, 13 years ago.  My total hiatus from maneuvering and managing an automobile was 20 years, give or take 1 and a half years in North America, when circumstances forced me to take the wheel again, even under medication and duress.  When my son was born, the hell driver and speed demon that I once was, was tamed, and I lost my nerve to fight with other drivers on the road.  My partner at that time thought it best that I be chauffeured, and I was readily compliant and complacent.  

Before that time, I feared nothing, raced, drifted, rallied, conquered obstacle courses, culminating in running at 160 kph and then pulling the handbrake to spin 360 degrees.  What a feeling! What an idiot!

But back to today.  As of today, I have taken the wheel for three days in a row... Been subject of countless curses I thankfully never heard about my being a woman driver. Been object of horns blasting as I carefully, cautiously, painstakingly negotiated a turn, a reverse, a U-turn, a sashay into a parking space. Been victim of many a hump that I didn't see was there.... Been responsible for a scratch or two of paint on a pillar in the parking building....

There were times when I drove when it all felt so familiar.  Automatic even.  Click on the left or right turn signal. Gently manage the accelerator and the brake, especially over one of gazillions of humps in the metropolis.  Look in the rear view mirror...look at the side mirror...any oncoming cars, can I make it?

There were times when I thought I was as amnesiac as Nicole Kidman in the movie Before I Sleep...the roads did not look familiar to me...try as I might, I saw nothing recognizable. What was happening? It could not have been so long ago that I drove these streets... Oh my! It's been over a decade.  A hundred thousand cars less ago, ten million commuting people less ago, thousands of colorum illegal public utility vehicles plying the roads less ago.

But continue to drive I will, notwithstanding the scratch, notwithstanding the public bellyaching I imagine is directed at my comportment on the road.  There is a sense of empowerment... A feeling that I am in some form of control over my life and my destiny, something so important to a veteran (read "mature" ) triple A personality like myself... There is a sense of rhythm, a coordination of muscle and mind, exercising parts long left untouched, long left in hibernation, and it is a glorious feeling, however momentary.

Scary.  New at it, I was cautious till the last leg.  Then I felt comfortable...and then careless, and the scratch occurred, much to my shame and chagrin...but totally necessary for my re-education in driving and lesson in humility.  Stay ever vigilant, never take anything for granted.  Driving was a moment TO moment and moment BY moment experience of discipline, and mindfulness, almost zen like in its demand for singular focus....

My trusty chauffeur tells me all I need is to drive at least twice a week and I will get my driving smarts back again.  What does he know? I know I need to go back full time, scratches and all, curses and all, stalls and all, and learn the driving ropes, kilometer by kilometer, hump by hump, traffic light by traffic light...lost and found though I may be, honk screech and bump though I may do....

Surely the driving prowess of my youth could not have been totally erased or lost? But in all honesty, it was probably more hard headed impetuosity and recklessness then, than prowess.  I was younger then.  Fearless then.  Feckless too.

As I enter my twilight years, I find myself relearning how to do almost anything all over again.  Driving is just one of them.... Living anew as a happy fifty something is the bigger challenge.

Mwah!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment